Friday, October 23, 2009

What's that smell????

Yesterday, Kolby asked if we could bring things for a party with his groupa. I thought that would be a great idea and I had gotten cookies at the grocery store yesterday. I needed chips and juice, so I sent Kevin to our little store just behind our building. After about 10 minutes, Kevin arrived with all the necessary things for the party. He said, "Mom, that man on the elevator smelled like poop." About another 30 seconds later, I got a whiff of something and said, "Kevin, you smell like poop- did you poop in your pants??" Guess what Kevin had tracked all over the apartment from the bottom of his shoe???? (We have several dogs around here). All over the linoleum (not a big deal to clean), and all over the rug in the kitchen (a much bigger deal to clean). So, for the next 45 minutes, he got to practice cleaning floors. Anyway, it is really funny now that he thought that the smell came from someone else. I wonder what that man on the elevator thought of Kevin!!

We went to the orphanage this afternoon and took treats for the girl's groupa and the boy's groupa (about 10-12 kids in each one). Thankfully, I had given all treats to the teachers to pass out. The boys room was chaos with hands and mouths everywhere (you would have thought that there were 100 boys). The girls sat down right away to receive their treats. They all enjoyed it. We didn't stay too long tonight, but will be there earlier tomorrow (we can visit earlier on the weekends).

On our walk home each night, the highlight is whether the local dentist office is working. As we get close to the office and walk under the tree, the question from the kids is, "Are the blinds open??" It is so funny, because it is dark out and sitting in the window every night is a patient with their mouth open. The dentist and his assistant both have blue masks on their faces and are busy working in the mouth. Sometimes, we just stand there and watch. I wonder if the patient knows that anyone who walks by can see them and what is going on? I am glad to know that there is a local dentist, because I have terrible teeth, and just might need one at any time. However, if I am the patient, I will have to ask the dentist to close the blinds. Tonight is Friday night, and we have learned that the dentist closes early on Friday. So, no sights to see tonight.

After talking to Sasha this morning, we will not plan on taking the kids with us until the last day. We have lots of paperwork, etc. next week to do and it would be harder taking 3 more kids with us (7 people in one car is very crowded!!!). Plus, I think they would be very bored here in the apartment while Kevin and Katie do school. We also were wondering where everyone would sleep in the apartment, so I think this plan will be better. The newest kids will stay in their school, except on days that we need for them to be with us (when we do medical exam, etc). I am ready, though, not to have to go to the orphanage and they are so ready to leave there. I can certainly feel that we are in the home-stretch!!

For those of you wondering, yes, it feels like we have been gone a month (it will be a month on Sunday). However, it really does not seem to be as long as last time. My days are a little more occupied and there are people here to talk to. The one really good thing that we did is to bring the portable DVD player and English movies. So, the kids and I try to have movie night each night (after school and baths are completed). I love it because that means another day down. We are down to our final 9-10 days and next week should be very busy.

Blessings,
Kim


1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your blogs, Kim. I'm glad you have the temporary use of another computer. It helps us to imagine what you're doing while you are over there. Tell Katie and Kevin that we are thinking about them and can't wait for them to get back so that they can tell us about their adventures. The boys are looking forward to meeting their new cousins. Be safe and let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Lifting you up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete